Despite comments from new Manchester United signing Eric Bailly, suggesting he turned down a move to City in order to work with Jose Mourinho instead, the Manchester Evening News has revealed that The Blues in fact had two chances to bring in the youngster and declined the opportunity.
Bailly joined United in a €38 million deal this summer, and has already ignited debate before the season has even started, by claiming he chose to move to Old Trafford despite interest from the other side of Manchester.

Speaking to the Sunday Times, Bailly said: “I signed for United because I like Mourinho, as simple as that.
“I wanted to play for someone who works very hard. I didn’t speak to Pep Guardiola but the ‘second’ manager called me and Mourinho called me as well.”
Bailly also admitted Yaya Toure had tried to persuade him to move to The Blues: “Yaya also called me and said come to City. But once Jose spoke to me and Didier gave me advice, I knew straight away I wanted to play for him.”

However, the Manchester Evening News believe the interest was actually the other way round, with the player and agent having tried to persuade the club to make a move for Bailly on two occasions – the first being in January 2015, before they tried again earlier this summer upon the arrival of Pep Guardiola in Manchester.
This summer, City rejected the chance to sign the 22-year-old in favour of pursuing moves for John Stones (who now looks close to signing) and Leonardo Bonucci of Juventus (who seems likely to stay put), as well as Aymeric Laporte before he signed a new contract with Athletic Club.

Bailly missed out on his chance to take part in his first Manchester derby last week, when poor weather in Beijing meant the International Champions Cup game had to be called off at the last minute. The Blues visit Old Trafford in early September, when Bailly will finally get his chance, alongside Pep Guardiola going head-to-head against Mourinho for the first time in four years.





