Manuel Pellegrini has insisted he won’t be safe from the chop next summer if Manchester City fail to recover from last year’s trophyless campaign. He was allowed to continue from last season, and was rewarded with a one year contract extension this week, keeping him at the club until 2017.
However, many are tipping City to be unsuccessful once again this summer, with most favouring Chelsea, Arsenal or Manchester United for the Premier League title or for top three, and although this seems unlikely, Pellegrini says he may not survive if last season’s disappointments rear their ugly head again this year.
Speaking before his team’s opening Premier League fixture against West Brom on Monday night, the Chilean manager said “in a big team you cannot be two years without winning a title. It is very important to win. It is also important to demonstrate to the media and to the fans that sometimes you can keep working without winning.”
“When you don’t win a title, you must change some things. It is important when you don’t win a title that you trust the work you are doing.”

“But it is true that it is very difficult for a big team to be two years without winning a title.”
Another unsuccessful season does seem somewhat unlikely, given that City haven’t lost any key players, and have also improved the attacking side of the team heavily, with the signings of players like Raheem Sterling. The club also reportedly expect Kevin De Bruyne to sign this week, and he could make his debut against Chelsea next weekend.





