Kelechi Iheanacho has once again reiterated his determination to make it as a first-team player at City, saying he would happily miss Sunday’s flight to New Zealand for the under-20 World Cup if Manuel Pellegrini planned to play him in Sunday’s game against Southampton, although Pellegrini reportedly doesn’t plan to play any young stars in Sunday’s end of the season game.
Iheanacho has impressed many this season with his pre-season exploits and his more recent performances with the Elite Development Squad, and allegedly rejected a loan away from the club in favour of trying to challenge first-team players for their place in the squad, despite the Nigerian attacker being just 18.
When asked by the Manchester Evening News whether he would be involved in Sunday’s top-flight clash against The Saints, Kelechi said “I don’t know. I play for City. If they tell me to come and play for the first team I will come and play. I’ll change my flight.”
Of course, an appearance seems unlikely not only due to the fact Pellegrini said he plans to keep a similar team to last week’s victory in South Wales, but also due to Iheanacho already playing in the mini-derby against United’s under-21 side on Saturday, scoring 2 goals in a 3-1 Blues win.
Iheanacho has now scored six goals in seven appearances for the EDS side this season, which has led to calls to install him in the first-team set-up next campaign. However, he won’t be thinking about that now, instead focussing on representing his country at the under-20 World Cup, having already delayed joining up with them in favour of finishing the season at City.





